Wikileaks and media partners battle over release of U.S. documentsPosted: September 7, 2011
On September 6, Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange, responded to the recent media coverage surrounding the release of unredacted documents and in response to the critical comments made by some of the organization’s major media partners.
Last week Wikileaks uploaded thousands of unfiltered documents to their site revealing the names of protected sources which had spoken to U.S. diplomats. This action put the lives of the sources in danger. Four of Wikileaks’ media partners – the Guardian, the New York Times, Der Spiegel, and El Pais- quickly spoke out against the controversy.
Together the publications “deplore the decision of WikiLeaks to publish the unredacted state department cables, which may put sources at risk.” The media partners moved to distance themselves from the site claiming that Assange had worked alone in publishing the exposing documents.
In his response to the blast, Assange claimed that the Guardian had already published an encryption key to the documents. He said this act of “negligence” had given cause for adding the uncensored material to the site.
In his video interview Assange said,”Let us look at this case properly — the Guardian newspaper revealed the entire encryption password including that component they were instructed never to write about.”
Both sides continue to play the blame game over the release of the highly sensitive information. Who do you believe should be held responsible? Should a site like Wikileaks be allowed to publish secret government documents?